Information on Masonry Heaters & Building Codes:
- Building Code Coverage of Masonry Heaters (PDF File) by Norbert Senf, Masonry Stove Builders
- Codes and Standards for Masonry Fireplaces and Chimneys by Jim Buckley, Buckley Rumford Fireplaces
- Available for purchase from ASTM International.Â From website description: “This guide can be used by code officials, architects, and other interested parties to evaluate the design and construction of masonry heaters. It is not restricted to a specific method of construction, nor does it provide all specific details of construction of a masonry heater. This guide does provide the principles to be followed for the safe construction of masonry heaters.”
Building your own oven?
We are able to make plan sets for your oven project based from custom design parameters, our stock designs, and anything in-between. The plan sets are designed to demonstrate a level of detail in-line with the comfort level of the builder. The builder/owner can choose from an “a la carte” list of plan set information and service options, including the following:
- Comprehensive 3D modeling of bake oven and bakery space
- Course by course drawings for all masonry from foundation to chimney
- Materials lists for specific plan sets
- Materials suppliers for materials used in design
- Shop drawings to facilitate local fabrication of components
- Phone/text/email consultation before, during, and after the oven build
- Photos to accompany plan sets, based on previous builds
- Technical and process support
Plan sets are suitable for the backyard oven or for full scale commercial ovens and any scale in-between. All plan sets are quoted individually based on the parameters of your project.
If you are building your own oven you’ll still need a door. Sourcing a properly sized door of the right materials isn’t always easy so we offer Solid Rock Masonry Doors for the DIY build. Feel free to order one of our standard sizes or a custom size as needed.